The ISI Certification Mark on a product refers to quality, safety & reliability of the product. It is a Licensee’s declaration and an assurance to customer that the product complies with the essential requirements of the relevant Indian quality, safety, health & environmental protection legislation and other applicable provisions that have been imposed upon it by means of Indian standards, and that the product has been subject to the appropriate conformity assessment procedure(s).
The conformity is ensured by regular surveillance of the licensee’s performance by surprise inspections and testing of samples, drawn both from the market and factory by The Bureau of Indian Standards.
The BIS product certification scheme is essentially voluntary in nature, but the Government of India has enforced mandatory certification on various products through Orders issued from time to time under various Acts. The products under mandatory certification must bear a ISI mark on it prior to the product be legally place on the Indian Market.
For all other products, the manufacturer is permitted to self-certify the products after ascertaining its conformity to the Standard licensed for.
Who is it relevant to?
It is suitable for any organization looking to improve the way it is operated and managed, regardless of size or sector. However, the best returns on investment come from those companies that are prepared to implement it throughout their organization rather than at particular sites, departments or divisions.
CPM SERVICES SUPPORT
- To establish, implement & maintain suitable quality management system to consistently produce products meeting relevant standards
- To choose applicable Indian standard, assistance to comply product performance parameters with the standard, develop test plans and in-house test facility
- In preparation of technical file, necessary documentation and their revision based on test reports
- In Liaison & co-ordination with test / certifying agency.
- ISI Mark is a useful promotional tool to enhance brand reputation. It sends a clear message to all interested parties that this is a company committed to high standards and continual improvement.
- Increased customer confidence & satisfaction leads to improved organizational image.
- Organizations retain or increase market share, increases sales or revenues and profitability. It removes barriers to trade and Attracts investment.
- Streamlines operations and reduces waste:Consistent and improved quality of product as well as processes.
- Improved documentation & process control leads to increased productivity along with reduced defect rate, wastage, reworks & breakdown time.
- Provides Competitive advantage by facilitating top management to continuously see progress or lack of progress towards business objectives.
SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION ROAD MAP
Step 1 : Establish a QMS as a foundation (ISO 9000 series-Optional)
Carry out the following steps for each product
Step 2 : Determine applicable Standards that will apply
Step 3 : Decide what tests will be carried out to prove conformity
Step 4 : Carry out tests in-house (and/or have them carried out)
Step 5 : Prepare necessary documents/ reports/ recommendations
Step 6 : Revise product & documentation as necessary
Step 7 : Submit application, tech. docs & test reports to BIS
Step 8 : Conformity Assessment by BIS
Step 9 : Declaration of Conformity and Grant of License by BIS
Step10 : Mark Product as – ISI
Step11 : Place on market
Step12 : Review applicable standards for new requirements